Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Ah, Valentine's Day...

...you know that "holiday" that singles avoid like a plague. I know- been there. Yup, normally wear black this day- just to rebel. There is just something about being told you must celebrate love one day a year that gets me. It's kind of like celebrating the birth of Jesus only December.

As a kid Valentine's Day was the best. At one of my schools (for I had many), we had a Valentine's Box contest every year. The kid with best box, won a prize. Thanks to my very creative mom, I won a couple years in a row. The best one we did was the size of a small moving box. We cut 2 holes in the top and one in the side. Then created a slide from one of the top holes to the side hole. It was then covered with aluminum foil, with a flap covering the side hole so no one knew it was there. It was great because depending which slot the valentine got put in- it was either accepted or rejected by process of the box!

Do you want me to tell you something really subversive? Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more. ~Erica Jong

No comments: