Monday, November 27, 2006

The Windy City

This year, I got to go back to Chicago for Thanksgiving. Last year I spent it here in Dallas, and it wasn't quite the same.

We flew to Chicago, early Thanksgiving morning. When I say early, I mean early. I was up at 3:45am to get everything ready, and left the house at 4:35 am to pick up Jos. We got to the airport a little before 6 am (good heavens, reminds me of my international travel times!). We arrived on time in Chicago, but one of our bags decided to take its merry ole time getting there. After waiting an hour and a half, we left O'Hare for my brother's house.

I was very thankful I was headed south, as the traffic headed north was backed up a good 5 miles from the Northwest Tollway (I found out why on Sunday when we went to church-the toll booth is under construction). We made it a couple hours before dinner. My niece and nephews were excited to have me "home". The entire weekend, I had my niece at my side. She really misses having me in Chicago, and says so everytime I am up there! :)

Friday, we headed to the Museum of Science and Industry, which I have been to 3 times this year! The best part for me was their Christmas around the World exhibit.

Saturday, we went downtown, via a few stops around the city of where I had worked or lived. While Michigan Ave was completely crowded, it was enjoyable. It had been a while for me since I had been downtown, and Michigan Ave during Christmas is beautiful. They string lights on the trees that line the avenue, the street performers are playing Christmas songs, and mixed in you hear the Salvation Army ringers. There is nothing like it.

Sunday by far was the best of the days. I got to go to my home church, Harvest Bible Chapel. It always feels like I have arrived home when I am there. The spirit of worship is amazing. I got to see some of my friends, and introduce Jos to them. After all the busyness of the weekend, we got to the airport 3 hours before takeoff, and enjoyed just being able to relax for a while.

The time with the family was enjoyable. We had a great time, but it is sure good to be home.

Not all those who wander are lost. ~Tolkien

No comments: